Assessment FOR Learning
Join teachers from the Maine STEM Partnership at the RiSE Center to strengthen your assessment literacy skills. This professional learning community is designed to support teachers using high impact formative assessment strategies.
Offered Alternating Years
Next Offered 2023-2024
The Learning Progression
This Assessment For Learning series will be six sessions and will begin with an introduction to Assessment For Learning and setting success criteria. Each session will introduce a new tool and/or strategy and include a discussion among participants of their experiences using these tools and strategies in their classrooms. Other tools and strategies included in the series include learning progressions, concept mapping, next step rubrics, and feedback. As a group we will see how these tools and strategies work together to help increase student achievement.
Align learning activities with intended learning outcomes in student friendly language.
Utilize learning progressions to help make each step of learning clear for your students and enabling them to follow a clear learning path.
Learn how the visual organization of information supports students as they construct and connect knowledge by showing how ideas are related.
Next Step Rubrics
Use next step rubrics as a self-assessment tool that enables self-reflection and opportunities for peer and teacher feedback.
Learn how to provide meaningful feedback that promotes student self-efficacy and interest in continued learning.
Discuss how to extend use of these strategies in our classrooms and how this community can support this process.
Bonny Eagle High School
Assessment for Learning strategies helped me really refine my thought process and clearly communicate my curriculum to my students in a way that had students critically thinking about what comes next in their learning. Using these strategies not only streamlined my day-to-day but allowed me to dig deeper with all levels of students on questions that interested them that connected to the content.
Old Town High School
Old Town High School
How to participate:
Cost: $450 per teacher
What is included:
- Six 90-minute virtual meetings, each focused on a different assessment strategy
- A copy of two books: Teaching Strategies That Create Assessment Literate Learners and Seven Strategies of Assessment For Learning
- Access to a collaborative community of teachers, and University staff and faculty
- Ongoing support as you continue to implement these strategies in your classroom regardless of whether or not this is your first time trying them!
- Flexibility! We will work with you at your pace to make sure you continue to be successful and excited to teach science!